On October 1, Walt Disney World Resort celebrated its 50th birthday, and kicked off an 18-month long celebration. We couldn’t wait to spend our Fall Break at The Most Magical Place on Earth!
Highlights of The World’s Most Magical Celebration include:
- EARidescent Excitement with dazzling decorations, new looks for Mickey, Minnie and Friends and magical touches at all 4 theme parks and beyond.
- Premiere of Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure in EPCOT, a 4D culinary adventure based on the Disney and Pixar film Ratatouille.
- Debut of Disney Enchantment in Magic Kingdom, a nighttime spectacular with Disney music, stunning fireworks and immersive projection effects extending from Cinderella Castle down Main Street, U.S.A., and Harmonious in EPCOT, the nighttime spectacular using Disney music and stories to bring people together.
- Introduction of Kite Tails in Animal Kingdom, a high-flying performance featuring Disney character-themed kites and beloved Disney songs.
- Disney Fab 50 Character Collection, 36 golden statues featuring 50 Disney characters displayed across all four theme parks.
- Beacons of Magic; the four park icons (Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom, Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom, Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios, and Spaceship Earth in EPCOT) are transformed into Beacons of Magic at night.
I am always in awe of the way Disney can recreate magic in new and exciting ways. I can visit over and over again and there is always a sense of exhilaration!
The crowds were noticeably larger, which I expect will continue to be a trend through the holidays. If you have an upcoming trip, here are a few tips to make your visit much more comfortable:
- Decide if you want to focus on attractions or experiences. Until Disney Genie+ and Individual Attraction Selections are launched October 19, it will be difficult to squeeze in everything on your list. And after it’s launched, work with your Authorized Disney Vacation Planner <<<that’s me!<<< to determine how to best make use of the service.
- Invest in Memory Maker. There are so many fun Magic Shots, and a few special ones commemorating the 50th.
- Take the time to enjoy the Fab 50 Character Collection. We made a scavenger hunt of it and enjoyed examining the details.
- Don’t miss Disney Enchantment and Harmonious! You will have to stake out a spot about an hour prior, but they’re worth it!
- Interact with the Cast Members. Many have incredible stories to share. Our favorite interaction from this trip was while pin trading at Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind. Bob noticed the teen’s Star Wars shirt and asked if he were a fan. This kicked off a series of anecdotes about the movies and a pop quizz that earned the teen a bonus Star Wars pin.
- In the heat of the day, don’t be afraid to retreat to your resort for a pool break, or find a relaxing spot in the parks for a break. There is a zen garden and water feature behind Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom. BTW, this is the perfect shady spot to enjoy Kite Tails!
- Shop at the end of the day so you’re not lugging bags around the entire time. To date, complimentary resort delivery has not resumed. Or, pay to have them shipped home.
- When time permits, break up your park days with activities like mini-golf or horseback riding.
- Make meal times memorable. Commit to a dining reservation for a restaurant you’ve been dying to try. You can always say it’s in honor of the 50th. 🙂
If you’re thinking about a visit of your own, The World’s Most Magical Celebration runs for 18 months. Can’t wait until then? There’s lots of availability for Disney Very Merriest After Hours at Magic Kingdom. I would love to be of assistance.
Happy 50th Birthday Walt Disney World! / Enchanting Extras at Walt Disney World Resort / Trails End Restaurant
As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner and lover of all things Disney, I would be honored for the opportunity to plan your visit to The Most Magical Place on Earth! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.