Imagine you did everything right…planned your trip a year in advance, read every single email from your travel advisor, and feel confident about your destination…only for it to rain practically your entire vacation. Womp womp!
We spent Thanksgiving week at Universal Orlando Resort, and it rained most of our park days. In addition to rain, it was unusually cold too! While this was less than desirable, this was my challenge to do what I always advise my clients to to – make the best of your time and when necessary, pivot!
Here are my top tips for making the most of your theme park vacation in the rain, provided there are no thunderstorms:
- A heavy rain will clear out a theme park in minutes. Pack ponchos and walk on almost any attraction, even the very popular ones! Just make sure you have a second pair of shoes in a waterproof backpack.
- Take advantage of indoor attractions with indoor queues, and indoor activity centers. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, Poseidon’s Fury, The Cat in the Hat, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and Jurassic Park Discovery Center come to mind.
- Check the app for character appearances and have your picture made. Remember to smile!
- Take advantage of amenities at your resort that you might not otherwise. For example, treat yourself to a spa day, order a room service dinner, and relax in the hot tub. A hot tub soak in a light rain is actually quite refreshing.
- As Universal Orlando Resort does not utilize park reservations, you have so much more flexibility. Pick your Volcano Bay day, once you’re onsite, based on the weather forecast. For us, the day with the most favorable temps, and lowest chance of rain wins.
You know there’s always a bonus point! Get creative with your cell phone photos. Rainy weather can create some stunning photos, with reflections on the pavement and moody skies. Bring a camera and take advantage of the unique opportunities that the rain presents.
Remember, a little rain doesn’t have to ruin your vacation. With the right attitude and a lot of flexibility, you can make the most of a rainy day and create some unforgettable memories.
Why I LOVE Universal Orlando Resort / What To Do When It Rains on Vacation / Level Up Your Universal Orlando Resort Vacation
As a full-service travel agent, I would love to be of assistance to you. I am passionate about what I do and pour that energy into crafting perfectly planned itineraries for you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.